2008 Year in Review

Well, it's another year and this one has to go down as one of the more interesting years I've had. Even compared to '95 when I lived in Hawaii with Julia, and that's saying a lot. I'm plucking memory out of my head, so hopefully I'll get the key thing down.

Starting with last years NYE party, it was fun and had moments of contempt from my friend, let call that person Snark. Still it was great to be around everyone, being silly and ringing in the New Year.

For most of Jan and Feb I was close to moving home as I was still unemployed and running out of my nest egg. It look closed there for Philly. This blog could have been called, Phil in PDX. :) Luckily, I was found by a great company, with a great product, and a perfect environment. I know I've lived a very blessed life and this opportunity was just another amazing event that somehow happened.

Work is great. The people and mission of our company really does make you change your ideas about what's of value in life. Is it money, fame, status? Or is it safety, support, and a feeling of accomplishment? Those are questions I have recently asked myself and my responses are different now then they would have been a year ago.



This year was a year of one of the most engaging election ever. Barack Obama was everything I could see and want from a president. He was the antithesis of GWB. It was satisfying to be able to work for the campaign for the 7 months that I was involved. The election recharged my batteries that stores my hope in others. Everyone involved just wanted to see others succeed. It was never about having the opponent lose, it was about having hope and safety for others. I cried pretty hard when he won. It was tears of utter joy (damn, I'm tearing up now). It was redemption for our country, it was light when it's been so dark, it was hope for a better future for others. That really was the message most of us took away from campaigning.

Summer was fun. Nothing to crazy or wild. Sea Isle was a fun and short trip. I did get back on my bike a lot. It was invigorating and freeing of myself. Headphones and a water bottle took me for miles and back. It was a great way to escape life, bills, relationship, and distractions. I'll have to get a new bike this year.


Fall came with the World Series. Now, I'm not the biggest baseball fan, let's just make sure that's out there. But I am a huge sports fan, and you can't be emotionally engaged when your city is involved and about to do something it hasn't done in 25 years. It was a great series, but I think it was even more memorable because I had the opportunity to experience it in Philly with friends from Philly. I could see how much this meant to them with each pitch and swing. When we won, my emotions could not even be close to those around me. Grown men crying, couples kissing and remembering where they were at that moment, and complete strangers excited for such history. It was a sight to see and I do hope I have a chance to experience it again. I plan to be much more intune with Philly by then.

We had a great championship parade a few days later that had over 2 million people show up on Broad St and the Sports Complex. That was amazing.

I have to thank Sherri and her family for giving me a great place to share my holiday at and a great family to share it with. It was nice to have some semblance of family during the holidays. Even if there was a great sister on sister brawl post Thanksgiving.

We end the year with lots of reflection for the new year. The economy has to rebound. People's lives need to be put back together. Anytime I complain about a bill or distraction in my life, I think of those without homes, jobs, or family and friends. It's scary right now, but I have faith and hope that we as a people will rebound and overcome. My other concern for 2009 is friends. As I grow older, my tolerance for irrationality and selfish acts thin. I have always been as honest as possible with others, and I think this new year will be me being as brutally honest as possible. I just don't see how I am helping those be better people, if I wussy foot with what I have to say. It will suck, and it might bruise some egos, but I don't have the time and tolerance anymore to let me friends stay a course that is destructive. That will be my biggest challenge.

I wish everyone a happy and safe new year. Things look bleak right now, but remember that we do live in a country built on hope and dreams, and I strongly believe we will recapture some of that splendor. Don't give up on others, and don't forget who you are. Those things alone will be needed to make things better.

God Bless.

~Philly

0 comments: