Those moments...

As we say goodbye to one of the worst presidents in our country's history, I wanted to take a moment to reflect on where I was at during his worst moments. I'll try to see if I can just pick a handful of those moments, since there was so much to choose from.

Let's start with the doozie, Sept 11th, 2001. I'm sure most of us can remember this moment in our lives. Where everything we thought and felt about our safety was shattered. I was at home in Yardley, PA finishing a network design project when I was bombarded with mIRC request. I got to experience 9/11 in the newest of way possible, through my online network. Friends from NYC were mass emailing everyone telling me they were safe, and I had to call home many times to reassure my parents that I was not in NYC at the time. My closest friend, Andrea, was fully on my mind. It was a long and sombering day for me.

A few years later, the US goes to war. A war that I honestly did not look at further then. All I know was that my brother was back in Iraq. I did watch his Mission Accomplish speech on May 1st, 2003. I was in the Bristol house by now, and I do remember watching his speech in my room on the top floor. Wondering how he could proclaim mission accomplished when my brother was to leave for his now 2nd tour of Iraq soon. I didn't think of the many friends that would come through the Britsol house who later would join the war. I look now in hindsight with the rest of the nation, at what an irrisponsible declaration that was.

Hurricane Katrina was so far removed from me at the time, I didn't take much at the storm coming. Everything changed when I spent the entire Monday of August 29th, 2005 watching the news coverage. Seeing homes destroyed, cites level, and mother nature hurl her fury at New Orleans. I had much to think about my life in 2005; moving across the country, buying a house, thinking about my current job, and possibly thinking about a new one. By now, I wanted to know much more about the world around me and to see what our president planned to do to help such an amazing tradgedy in our nation. To see the inept processes to get the simpliest of help to New Orleans anger me. Made me write letters to Senators and Congressmen/women. I feel I'll have to write a more indepth post on these.

Friday was Bush's last attempt to make amends at the last 8 years. It was a 13 min process of peeeling back the scars and slowing rubbing salt into them. I came into the speech with much anger and hatered for a leader that failed us in every way. I left with disgust and a mission to not let others try to rewrite the last 8 years, +4200 lives lost, trillions dollars lost. We need to remember each one of Bush's worst moments, remember where we were, and remember that it cannot happen again.

~Philly

0 comments: